UNIVERSITY of YORK UCU – STRIKE BULLETIN No 6
Our pickets and daily rally stayed strong on Friday – we are the University!
In this bulletin: 29 Nov climate strike, rotas for later picketing, social media, upcoming teach-outs
Rotas for later picketing
Our 8am-10am picket lines are not a good time for all members. So, following up on a suggestion from Wednesday’s meeting, a second 11am-1pm picket is being organised. If you would like to picket 11am-1pm please email email@example.com stating where you would be prepared to picket and on which days. It is important to do this, so we can ensure a reasonable number of people are on any picket line for this ‘second shift’. (Our 1030am rallies at Heslington Hall will continue as before.)
UCU joins the Climate Strike
Fresh from the picket line on Friday, UCU members picked up their “Climate Change is a Trade Union Issue” placards and joined with students to march from the University to the climate strike protest in St Helen’s square. There we joined a lively and informative protest where one of our members Jasper Kenter spoke eloquently on the need to take action on this crucial issue.
- There’s a lot going on while we are on strike! Keep up with events by following us on Twitter @UcuYork
- We are also in the process of revamping our FB page: https://www.facebook.com/UoYUCU/
Upcoming Teach Outs
- 2.30pm – 3.45pm, Monday 2 December, Heslington Village Hall. Resisting Contemporary Colonial Regimes: The cases of the Sahrawis, Palestinians and Kurds ( https://facebook.com/events/446632526048513/ )
- 11am, Tuesday 3 December, Eagle & Child (2nd floor). Archaeology Teach Out: Neoliberalism, Marketization & Education
- 11am-1pm, Tuesday 3 December, Heslington Village Hall. Politics Teach Out
- 2pm-5pm, Tuesday 3 December, Heslington Village Hall. Centre for Women’s Studies Teach Out