Six things to do to support our action
As we move to the start of industrial action, we are all thinking about how best each of us can support it.
- We can and should withdraw our labour
- We can join our daily picket lines and rallies. If personal circumstances stop you doing so, send us supportive messages/selfies to circulate.
- We can put up a message on our ‘out of office’ e-mail, saying‘I am currently in dispute with my employer over their failure to support serious talks with my union, UCU, about our claims for improvements to our pensions and pay, including gender inequity, insecure work, and excessive workloads. I shall not be working from 25 to 29 November, or from 2 to 4 December inclusive. My replies to e-mails will therefore be delayed.’
- We can attend or participate in the wonderful teach-outs taking place in Heslington village hall during next week [see attached]
- We can communicate with students so that they understand why we are disrupting their studies [see attached]
- We can write to the Vice-Chancellor urging him to use his best efforts to press UUK and UCEA to return to meaningful negotiations.
- Come to the branch meeting to be held on Wednesday 27 November at 1.00 pm at The Crescent Venue, 8 the Crescent, York, YO24 1AW [it’s behind the Everyman Cinema on Blossom Street.
- Members have been worried about when they should inform managers about when they have taken strike action: the Director of HR has made it clear that while HR can ask us to provide this information on a day by day basis, they cannot require us to do so. UCU therefore continues to say that members should provide information about their strike action when the 8 days strikes are over, when managers ask them for it.
- Don’t forget about the UK strike fund https://www.ucu.org.uk/article/10452/Fighting-fund-donations-and-claims and our local hardship fund http://york.web.ucu.org.uk/local-hardship-fund/. Those in need can apply to these funds, those who can are urged to donate to the funds.
- We are pressing management to do as they did in 2018 and to stagger any deductions they may make from our pay and we will keep you posted about our progress.
- In order to show that our strike is backed by all categories of UCU members at York we invite colleagues in professional and support posts to give messages of support at our rallies next week. Anyone who would like to do this is encouraged to contact firstname.lastname@example.org
OUR ACTION MATTERS * OUR CAUSE IS GOOD * WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE
University of York UCU